Pages

Friday, January 14, 2011

Bean Curry - recipe

I know very very little about Indian food. I eat very little Indian food because I don't know very much about it and I don't have very many recipes for it. I also don't eat a lot of beans. I like beans but my husband does not. It's bummer. Until now.

Over Christmas my sister introduced me to the loveliness that is red bean curry. The recipe calls for red kidney beans but I think it would be just fine with any type of bean. I never though I'd enjoy a big old bowl full of bean so much but this is seriously tasty stuff, especially if you need a change for your everyday chili soup recipe. So, if you are looking for something healthy to warm your belly and step out of your everyday eating box like me, give this one a try.





Bean Curry
Adapted from The Smitten Kitchen who adapted it from an Arora spice blend.

Serves 6

1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup chopped fresh ginger (this is A LOT of ginger. I used it all, but adjust to your taste)
1 medium onion, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 large green chili, chopped (optional)
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
1/2 teaspoon ground tumeric
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
8 ounce can of tomato sauce
1 can diced tomatoes
30 ounces canned beans, (the original recipe calls for red kidney beans. I used one can red kidney and one can regular kidney beans)
chopped fresh cilantro for garnish
sour cream for garnish

Heat oil in a deep sauce pan over medium heat for one minute. Add ginger, garlic, onion, green chili, and let sizzle for one minute. Add the tomato sauce, salt and remaining spices and cook for an additional five minutes, stirring frequently. Add the beans plus one additional cup of water, and tomatoes. Bring it to a boil, then reduce to medium heat and let cook uncovered for 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Garnish with cilantro and sour cream if desired.

My sister served this over quinoa. You could also serve it over rice or with naan or other bread.

Also, this recipe freezes well. I freeze it since I'm the only one in the house who loves it. I did make chicken meatballs with the same Indian spices which the kids LOVED.





2 comments:

  1. YUM! I am making this tonight! I bought the ingredients earlier this week and I haven't had time to make it yet! Delicious! Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to try this. Does the pepper make it hot? I'm kind of a spice-wimp. But it looks so good.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for letting me know what you think! I really do appreciate every comment and will do my best to respond to any question you may have!