So there are several projects around the blogosphere that feature making Subway style art by applying vinyl letters to wood or canvas, painting and the peeling them off. I like the idea but don't have a fancy Cricut machine to make my own vinyl letters and such. So we came up with this.
1. Dig up an old poster frame. My husband's office changed all their logos so I have random posters and such in my basement. Take it apart.
2. Cut your letters out of good old contact paper. I free handed these but you could trace words that you had printed as well. Especially if you are using clear contact paper.
3. Peel and stick your letters to the pressboard portion of the poster frame. You know the sort of ugly brown part.
4. Let your kids loose with a mess of craft paint. A mess. We did this twice. Let them do two colors the first time and then a couple of more the second time. Cover the whole back ground. We didn't use paint brushes. We just squirted it on an rubbed it all around.
5. Peel up the letters. My four year old helped with this.
6. Leave as is OR go back and paint in your letters.
7. Put your frame back together and hang it up!
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone