Every year for the past three years I have tackled the mess of making salt dough ghosts with Sweet Pea. We struggle to get them to stand, get firm, and with scraping the dough off the counter. The first year our ghosts were awesome!! You know, Sweet Pea was two and momma did most of the work. Last year our ghosts were pretty pathetic. In fact Sweet Pea insisted on doing them alone and they were all flat and mushy and I threw them away. (Don't tell!) This year, Sweet Pea made ghosts on her own. A whole mess of baby ghosts. Then Jojo picked them all up and smashed them into a ball before I could pop them in the microwave to get them hard. After some tears, the babies were born again! And here they are along with their lovely paper bag trees. I really love how lumpy and bumpy they are. Truly homemade!!
Here's how to do it if you would like to make your own.
1. Don your aprons
2. Put your dough in bowl and mix it up! I split the recipe in two bowls. My kids don't share well.
1 cup flour
1 cup salt
1/2 cup water (or enough to make it stick together)
|JOjo does not recommend tasting the dough.|
3. Mix all ingredients together with a wooden spoon until smooth. Form into ghosts. Microwave the ghosts on a plate 30 seconds at a time until firm. About two minutes depending on the size of your ghosts. And there is no photo of this because I did this part while we were eating & cleaning up supper and totally forgot about the ghosts until morning when I found them in the microwave!
4. Give them some faces with a Black Sharpie permanent marker! Sweet Pea did that while I mixed up these awesome Pumpkin Scones for breakfast.
5. Make them a tree if you wish! The Family Fun Website has a great tutorial with a video on how to make the trees and the ghosts!
6. Enjoy your lumpy, bumpy, salty friends!