Pages

Thursday, September 16, 2010

Apple Hand Pies

So I like to cook and bake and stuff. I probably like it as much as I do crafting. It's something about the need to create something. I like both because they produce a tangible product in a short amount of time. So today it was Apple Hand Pies, hand pies crafted by little hands who couldn't keep themselves from snooping dough and apples and poking their fingers in in. Oh well, such is cooking with kids. I can handle it. Good thing since I couldn't handle them banging the rolling pin on the counter! So yeah, I rolled these babies out!! Try them. I will. After nap time. I mean and we made them after lunch and I told the kids they had to cool first.


see that napkin?? Yeah I sewed it. :)

For CRUST:

1 1/8 cup flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
8 T chilled butter, cut into cubes
3 T ice water

Add flour, salt & sugar to the bowl of a food processor and pulse once or twice. Add butter and pulse until it looks like cornmeal. Sprinkle water over the top and pulse until the mixture forms a ball. Add more water if necessary. Form dough into a log and slice into 6 equal portions. Wrap each one in plastic wrap and put in the freezer for at least 10 mintues.

For FILLING:

3 apples
1 T lemon juice
1/3 cup flour
1/3 cup sugar
1 tsp cinnamon

Peel and core apples and slice into thin slices. Mix with flour sugar & cinnamon.

To assemble pies. Roll out each portion of dough until thin. Place a small amount of filling in the center of each one. Fold over dough and press with fingers to seal. Vent each one with two small slits in the top. Bake at 400 degrees for 25 - 30 minutes or until golden.

And I totally forgot to add that the best part of this recipe is peeling the apples! Last year we were gifted with a very special apple peeler. It belonged to my husband's grandmother. Sweet Pea is 4 1/2 and has no time making it work. Jo Jo gave it a try too. And the dog helped by eating all the apple peels!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for letting me know what you think! I really do appreciate every comment and will do my best to respond to any question you may have!