Pages

Friday, November 19, 2010

Pants to Wreath Recycle Tutorial



So there are a million and one wreath tutorials out there. Lots and lots. You can make them out of burlap, and leaves, and old books and acorns and feathers, and a million different fabric decorations. Since there I so many, I figured, what's one more!

It all started when I discovered the "Everything's A Dollar" room at one of my local thrift stores when I was looking for the sweater for the leg warmers. While I was there, I came across this gem! Yup, a green velvety maternity track suit. I feel a bit guilty about grabbing it, cause you know some pregnant woman might have been quite comfy in this over the holidays!

I started by taking apart the pants. No photos of that part. You know how to cut out seams and cut off a waist band and such right?? I ended up with four big strips of fabric. Next I figured I needed a wreath form. Well, I am feeling super duper frugal this week so I figured I'd make my own considering I STILL have boxes of those great corrugated plastic signs we used for this project  and this project. If you don't have access to signs, heavy cardboard would work just fine.  I found the center of my sign and made an X  there. I then made marks five inches out and nine inches out and connected the dots to make a circle. Then I cut out my circles!


After cutting the circle and messing with the fabric a bit, I decided my form needed some bulk. This is three sheets of rolled up news paper that I glued to the circle with my hot glue gun.

Next I glued the first strip of fabric to the back of the form. I then put down a few dabs of glue and bunch the fabric to my liking and added a bit more glue. Not a lot, just enough to tack it down in a few spots.

Then I flipped the wreath over and cut the strip of fabric. I decided not to cover the back. Then I glued down the edges.
I then put down the next strip of fabric, slightly overlapping the one prior. I also folded over the edge a bit so the raw edges wouldn't show and tacked it all down with hot glue. I repeated this around the entire wreath. It took three of my pants leg strips to cover.
This is what the back looked like when it was finished.
And this is what the front looks like hanging above my fireplace. Yes, my Christmas decor is up. My kids begged me and I"m loving it. It's so nice and cozy and festive! We are never home for Thanksgiving so I usually skip right over Thanksgiving decor and go right from Halloween to Christmas!

So I know not every one has access to super cool velvety maternity pants but I think you could pull off this look with lots of fabrics. I want to try one with an old sweater or some pink knit for valentines day. I think you could totally make this on a purchased wreath form if you don't want to make your own. Also, you could add some embellishment to this like decorative pins, flowers, leaves, more ribbon.

And a final word of warning: this project may cause small children to feel the need to channel their inner "lets get physical"  Oliva Newton John. Sweet Pea claimed the waist band of the pants and has been wearing it as sweatband all day. Including to preschool!












Visit thecsiproject.com

28 comments:

  1. I love the under part of your wreath! everyone uses the foam ones which I'm having trouble finding at my dollar store. This was is MUCH easier. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is such a neat idea and it looks gorgeous hanging above your fireplace.
    I had to have a little laugh at your daughter. That is so cute ;)

    Diana

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a good way to make a wreath! I think they charge way to much for the foam ones.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this! I have a tendency to hang on to old clothing for projects such as these. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE it ~ very cool and I agree, it would be a great look at Valentine's Day, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that you used velvet. Very wintery and rich looking!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Saw this at tatertots and jello - love, love, LOVE it! Thanks for the tute!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now I'm going to wonder about the provenance of every fancy wreath I see this Christmas!

    Your wreath looks terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  9. waouhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, que des bravos , superbe, superbe
    md

    ReplyDelete
  10. I saw this on Tatertots and Jello. I just love it and plan to make for above my fireplace too. Thanks so much for sharing your idea!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks awesome! It looks way better as a wreat than a maternity outfit. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love it!! Great idea and great recycling! Thanks for sharing!
    www.theivycottageblog.blogspot.com
    -Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very nice! I love using thrift store clothing for a fabric source :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. OH MY GOSH! You are brilliant! I'm going to feature this on my blog later this week! i love it!

    I'd love for you to check out my blog at
    http://vintagewannabee.blogspot.com/

    I'm your newest follower! :)

    mucho love.
    Nichelle

    ReplyDelete
  15. Saw this on Tatertots and Jello's wrap up post, and it really stands out -- its gorgeous! and I love that it was a repurposed project.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, so cute! I love the fluffiness of the wreath! I'm on the lookout for velvet. :)The perfect Christmas fabric!
    I hope you can join my giveaway going on now! Have a great Thanksgiving!
    http://alittleknickknack.blogspot.com/2010/11/giveaway-with-speckled-dog.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yay!!! I'm totally making my own wreath form next time! I can't find the foam ones at my Dollar Store! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love this! Great idea to make your own form. And I love the headband!!

    Angie@http://cowtownkc.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  19. It looks really nice, and elegant! :)

    Please post this project on my Creation Sharing Weekends linky party (it runs from Fri to Sun evening RSA time) - the theme is recycled crafts and i'd love to see yours there, so please join in my first party! :) Tnx.

    You can find it here: http://naturallymecreations.blogspot.com/search/label/Naturally%20Me%20Creations%20linky%20parties

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your wreath creation is gawwwww-geous! Now you've got me seeing all the velour-y out-of-style stuff at the thrift store (and in my closet?) in a whole new light! Thanks so much for the inspiration :) Come see me sometime at http://sceneofthegrime.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great job up-cycling! Thank you for linking up at Sew Woodsy! We featured your pants to wreath tutorial!

    http://sewwoodsy.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Sarah. What a clever idea - I love the velvet - This looks fantastic! Thanks so much for joining the Sunday Showcase - I greatly appreciate it. I have featured this today - stop by and grab a featured button if you like. Hope you have a fabulous week ~ Stephanie Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is so original, I love the way your re-purposed those pants!

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is absolutely beautiful and my kinda of craft elegant but cheap! I have to remember to make one of these. Wouldn't a red one be great for valentines day too! Oh the possibilities Thank you so much for sharing this

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great idea, I will have to try:)

    Having Fun Blogging
    mrsphilipswithonel@gmail.com
    http://mrsphilipswithonel.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for letting me know what you think! I really do appreciate every comment and will do my best to respond to any question you may have!